Blog Archive

Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Heart of a Runner














The start of a new school year has me feeling like I'm running a race again. But then, isn't that what this life is? A race to the finish line. A journey toward our home. 

My runs between the Saint Mary’s and Notre Dame campuses are very dear to my heart.  Throughout the year, I become a witness to the gradual transformation of nature that erupts from beneath the surface. I venture through all the familiar paths and streets that are each marked with specific memories from the last three semesters. I pour out my fears, frustrations, worries and joys into the ground beneath my feet. Soggy soil, icy puddles,steaming asphalt, clusters of fallen leaves; whatever it may be.

Running awakens my sleeping conscience and reminds me that I am an irreplaceable member of this vast and ever changing world.  Running is the bridge between the earth and my soul. Running is my escape. It is the sensation of breaking free. Running is an opportunity to take yourself places with the power of your will. To achieve distance with decision. To CHOOSE to keep going, to keep pushing, to keep fighting onward and onward and onward. When I run, I prove to myself that I can go further than I thought possible. 


Running is my prayer. Running is my empowerment.   


“The real purpose of running isn’t to win a race, it’s to test the limits of the human heart”
–Bill Bowerman
  

“Keep the earth below my feet,
from my sweat, my blood runs weak.
Let me learn from where I have been.
Keep my eyes to serve,
my hands to learn. “
–Mumford and Sons


“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7


***All of these picture were taken within my Sophomore year at Saint Mary's College and are placed in order of when I took them. Many of them were taken on runs through both Notre Dame and Saint Mary's. ***





No comments:

Post a Comment