Blog Archive

Monday, February 3, 2014

Project Mom

“Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed. Each of us is loved. Each of us is necessary.”   Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI



Twice a year the Right to Life Club at the University of Notre Dame hosts a baby shower for mothers from a crisis pregnancy center.  (http://www.womenscarecenter.org/ )


This semester I had the opportunity to work as the commissioner for this event, also known as Project Mom. The chance to celebrate life with these women was a huge blessing. One of the counselors met with us before the baby shower and shared some heart breaking news about the lives of some of these single moms who are very much in need of emotional and financial support. They are each taking a huge leap of faith in their decision to choose life. This decision deserves so much praise and honor yet they have not been told by many people how courageous and admirable they are. They each have their own unique story, and have different reasons for keeping their babies, but it all boils down to the same thing; love. They are each choosing to love despite how this new life is going to change their own life forever. One of the mothers put it beautifully at the baby shower.

“Now I have something to live for, not that I didn’t before, but now it’s just different. I have a different purpose now.”


They were incredibly thankful for the event itself and for the gifts we provided for them thanks to all the donations. I love Project Mom because it gave me a chance to put my beliefs into action. Prayers are powerful, and it’s great to go march in front of the capital every year at the Pro-Life march, but Project Mom allowed us to actually live out the Pro-Life cause in our own community of South Bend. It allowed us to personally work with mothers who may or may not be convinced that their pregnancy was the right decision and to remind them that they have blessed the world with a miracle, regardless of their circumstances.

I wish I had the perspective of a mother to share, but I don’t. All I can say is that I admire every mother who has chosen to say yes to the little miracle that God placed inside of them. Today, people are more focused on keeping a perfect body, maintaining their social life and staying at a comfortable level of wealth. I’m not saying these are the only reasons that women terminate their pregnancies. I know that sometimes it might be an honest attempt to be responsible or a response to pressure, fear and many other reasons. I also think that our culture has generally become focused on self satisfaction rather than self giving. The value of self sacrifice has simply been lost. What a tragedy. This was one of my goals through this project. To convince these women that their sacrifice is beautiful and will be rewarded.

The act of giving yourself totally and completely for another is the most powerful and rewarding experience, whether that be for your spouse, your child, or for God. Motherhood reflects one of the most beautiful acts of total self giving and I am so thankful I have my own mom to look up to for saying yes so many times and continuously putting her children before herself every day of her life. Mothers are true heroines. I wish more people recognized that.

Now Project Mom is happening all over again next semester, so if you know anyone interested in supporting this cause, direct them to this websiteJ



Each mom received a jar of hand written notes from the guests


Personalized homemade onesies
We cooked lots of yummy treats the night before in the Lewis dorm kitchens. So many lovely girls came to help both days!

We raised $3,170 this semester and will continue to collect donations with the desire to provide hope for more mothers who need it. Thank you SO incredibly much for those who helped this baby shower become a reality.

Some more information about the RTL club at Notre Dame HERE. 

Merry Christmas :)

My older sister Angela shared a video with me this month with this quote in it. I think it beautifully connects Christmas to being Pro-Life


“Christmas...reveals the full meaning of every human birth, and the joy which accompanies the birth of the messiah is thus seen to be the foundation and fulfillment of Joy at every child born into the world.” –John Paul II

No comments:

Post a Comment