Blog Archive

Monday, February 3, 2014

GLORY




"The beauty we encounter here on earth is an anticipation of the Glory we were made for in Heaven." -Jimmy Mitchel, Talk given on May 26th, 2013

Wholesome. That is the best description I can offer when recalling the Glory Conference I attended over Memorial Day weekend. It wasn't the type of wholesome you experience after eating a 7 course meal. It was wholesome in the sense that it cultivated every aspect of being human. Mind, body, soul and spirit. Authentic friendships, glorious music, healing sacraments, food to feed our belly's,dancing, laughter, conversations, learning, fellowship and peace. We were untouched by the world for a short time, as we grew together in communion with God. We experienced what it means to be fully human.

There is this longing engraved in our hearts that constantly searches for the Beautiful. Through out the conference, we tasted beauty in the most raw and natural form. We celebrated Mass using sacred music, we glorified God together with our voices, we shared stories about the struggles we all face in this journey called life, and placed God at the center of everything we did. When someone glorifies God in everything they do, it is truly Beautiful.When we allow ourselves to experience the beautiful, we long for more, we search for more, and when we find it, we know that what we have really discovered is truth. That is what beauty is. Truth. Or rather, authentic beauty reflects truth. It is like hearing music for the very first time in your life.You want to sing along, you want to keep listening and you want to become part of it.

So there you have it.

Life is simply the pursuit of Beauty and the search for truth.

Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you! You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you. In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created. You were with me, but I was not with you. Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would have not been at all. You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness. You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness. You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you. I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more. You touched me, and I burned for your peace.
from The Confessions of Saint Augustine


No comments:

Post a Comment